Friday, February 20, 2009

Yes

There is not a banana to be had, anywhere in Harbin.

Not since before Chinese New Year – about three or four weeks. Not in our usual large supermarket, not in the other smaller supermarket where I fought someone for the last bunch the other week, not in the corner-shop type place downstairs from our flat. Two weeks ago we even went for a meal in a posh hotel and I ordered banoffee pie for pudding (I know, I know), and was told apologetically that they couldn’t do it, and now I see why.

What’s all that about then?

I know they’ve got an extremely long way to come – not the most right-on of fruits from a food miles perspective, I grant you – but that’s never seemed to be a problem here before. Is there a worldwide shortage? Did we miss banana day or something?

It’s very distressing. I can’t think of more than about a day that’s elapsed in the last five years without me eating at least one banana. They’re a staple element of mine and Peter’s diets, so much so that we both tend to carry an EB (Emergency Banana) with us at all times.

We can get apples, pears, kiwi fruit, strawberries.

But yes, we have none.

I don’t feel like singing about it. But just in case you do…..

No comments:

Post a Comment